Monday, May 2, 2011

Share what you're reading

Alas, my guest blogger couldn't make it. So instead, why don't you tell us what you're reading and send in the last couple of lines you read.

Since I'm reading several things, depending on where I am and which book I have handy, I'll pick my first three. They're quite different: historical romantic suspense, mystery, and an erotic romantic suspense. They're all good. I'd love to disappear for a couple of days and read straight through them.

 I'll start with Raven Talks Back, by Beth Anderson. Since I just started, I'll use the opening lines.
The Fog The spirits of my ancestors live in the towering Chugach Mountains that surround my world in Valdez. I know they are there. This is beautiful writing. It has a mystical feel and draws me in immediately. I can't wait to get into it. This cover is larger because it's the only clear cover I could find. The other one had a Kindle on it.

Next, Never a Gentleman, by Eileen Dreyer.
But he remained the perfect, languidly polite gentleman, and she didn't know how to demand more. So she did what she did best. Love the characters. They're such mismatched perfection.

And then there's Sexual Persuasion, by Maryn Sinclair.
"Then that's what you should have." He got up and walked around the table to move aside her hair and plant a soft kiss on the top of her spine. Wow! Tender and sexy. Exciting and tense.

Let us know what you're reading and share a couple of lines and what you think. More than one? That's even better.

5 comments:

Barbara Monajem said...

I'm not reading anything right now! But I've overdosed on romance lately, so I'm about to reread The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff. The movie The Eagle is based on this fabulous children's book. It's the first in a great series.

Ellis Vidler said...

I don't know it. Is it fantasy? I've really liked some of those. Septimus Heap and Fairhaven and others. And of course Harry.

Barbara J Williams said...

My current read is The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood. The joke is on me because it was mentioned in the epilogue to The Girl In the Green Raincoat (also a great read) I thought I was reserving a mystery.
This is a book that might be difficult for some because it deals with the loss of a child.

From page one: "...the horrible noises in her head had grown. They were hospital noises, doctors' voices, and Stella's own five-year-old voice saying Mama."

Donnell Ann Bell said...

Hi, Ellis! You and I have great taste in books Maryn Sinclair's novel Sexual Persuasion is next on my TBR list. Thanks for the hint...

I just finished an ARC of Ken Casper's "As the Crow Dies." I had so many wow moments in this book, it was unbelievable.

“My father had no reason to kill himself," I said. "On the
contrary, he had every reason to live. I was coming home. We had
plans to do things together. Plus, there’s no way he’d kill himself using
my gun.”

The book I'm reading for sheer crime scene enjoyment is called "Christine Falls" by Benjamin Black aka John Banville. Check out this description...

Mal had a way of bulging out his eyes and drawing upward sinuously his already long, thin form, as if to the music of a snake charmer's flute.

Fun post, Ellis

Ellis Vidler said...

Donnell, Maryn's is good and I'm having fun with it. Tou make the others sound interesting--books to put on my "someday" list.

Barbara, it may be excellent but I'm not sure it's for me. I read technical material for work, so when it's for myself, I really want to relax and enjoy it. Maybe The Girl in the Green Raincoat would be more appealing.