Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Food and Eating Scenes

Okay, I got this idea from Stacy Juba. She and Norma Rhuss have posted excerpts of food/cooking scenes from their books and included the recipes. Their books sound like fun reads and the recipes look good. I like food in books. It can show a lot about the character and what’s happening. Remember the movie Tom Jones (youtube link)? Wow.

Do you have an interesting eating scene? Want to share?

So, here's one from The Peeper, where Kay takes pity on hungry Sam. The tea, of course, is iced—this is South Carolina.

“Chicken casserole with cheese and mushrooms. Nelson likes it.” She put the plate on the table and handed him a fork. “Tea? I’ll put on a pot of coffee for later. I have lemon pie too.”
He nodded and took a bite. “Dump Nelson and adopt me.”
She smiled and poured him a glass of tea. Handing it to him, she took the chair opposite his. “I hate to disillusion you, but my specialty is take-out pizza.”
“Just call me on the nights you cook,” he said. “I’m already an expert with pizza and burgers.”

Kay’s Chicken Casserole
10 servings

1 cup uncooked rice (wild rice is better)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
4 cups cooked chicken, cut into cubes
1 container of fresh mushrooms, sliced, or 1 can/jar
1 stick butter
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
Milk, about 1 cup
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Cook wild rice as directed. Melt butter in skillet; add onions, celery, and pepper, a bit of salt. Add mushrooms (if using fresh) after about 4 minutes. Cook until tender. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Add soup, milk, almonds, 1-1/2 cups of cheese, chicken, mushrooms (if using canned), and rice. Mix well and pour into greased 13 by 9 pan. You can refrigerate here and cook later.

Bake in 350 F oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over the top. Bake for 10 minutes more.
If cooking from refrigerator, it will take 40 to 50 minutes. Add the last 1/2 cup cheese and cook till it’s melted and casserole is bubbly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I always have at least one eating scene in my stories, sometimes more. I usually write them when I'm hungry. In one book, I had all my favorite foods. Pure torture because I didn't have a lobster tail around.

Ellis Vidler said...

It's part of life, and how a character deals with it tells something about him or her. I used to crave donuts when I read Stephanie Plum. Sometimes they cook, sometimes they just eat--whatever, it makes them interesting.