Monday, July 2, 2012

Celebrating the Fourth of July

I like this picture. It speaks to me of pride and patriotism, which come on many levels. We don't all see things the same way, but I believe we all love this country. And we love and respect the principles on which it was founded, even though we don't always interpret them the same way. 


Many of our family members, from our ancestors to the present generation, have given their lives, limbs, and health to  keep this country free. Many here at home have made tremendous sacrifices, especially our military families. Let us honor them and remember those principles they fought for.

Emma Lazarus's poem "The Colossus," the one on a tablet inside the Statue of Liberty, has stayed with me since elementary school. I especially revere those warm, magnificent words: "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me . . ."


Do we still mean that? I'm not always sure. It's something to think about. 


Here's the entire poem:

"The Colossus"
by Emma Lazarus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Are there any words special to you, words that come to mind on our 236th birthday since 1776 when the Declaration of Independence was signed? 

4 comments:

laura thomas said...

Lovely post Ellis. I think you said it all. Freedom is what I think of and Thank you is what I say to all who make this country safe.

Ellis Vidler said...

Laura, I've been reading about life in Communist Romania (A Luminous Future by Teodor Flonta), and it's chilling. It really makes you appreciate what we have.

There are many ways to serve, and I applaud all who do, but being in the military involves so many sacrifices that it's a high calling.

Sandy Cody said...

"... these truths to be self-evident" and "all men were created equal" - those are words I remember. I have to admit I'd forgotten about "... give me your tired, your poor", as have, I think, far too many others. Thanks for the reminder. Nice post.

Ellis Vidler said...

Sandy, your blog on the need for civility is in the same vein. We must stop vilifying everyone who is different or has a different opinion. Emma Lazarus's words are only a poem, but your quotes from the Declaration of Independence are part of our basic principles--or should be.
Sandy's blog is http://birthofanovel.wordpress.com/