Friday, March 17, 2017



McClellanville, SC

Williamsburg Photo Ser Amantio di Nicolao


COLD COMFORT was a fun book to write. I pored over maps, websites, and real estate ads, looking for the right neighborhoods and houses for the characters. I wrote to friends who live in D.C. for information on the traffic, how to get around, and where typical people might live.
Mistletoe window

Then I spent a few days in Williamsburg, VA, and drove down to McClellanville, trying to absorb the details and imagine the scenes. My sister was with me and took notes--which were a joy to decipher later! We took lots of pictures and enjoyed ourselves, with many stops for fun. We discussed murder and how to dispose of bodies in soft voices in restaurants, but we still earned a few odd looks.


McClellanville
Now I’m dragging her and my husband to the mountains in nearby North Carolina to research another book, but I must admit it’s slow going. No matter how hard I try to ignore it, the news is a constant distraction.
North Carolina mountains

2 comments:

Erin Kane Spock said...

My current work in progress is set in Ireland. I rely on Google maps satellite view and memory, but maybe I need to take a trip there. You know, for my writing. :) Thank you for sharing the pics.

Ellis Vidler said...

Ireland has always been on my wish list. Google is good but not quite the same.Hope you make it one day soon. I could definitely set something there.