Saturday, March 31, 2012

Clairvoyance and Crystal Balls

Haunting Refrain

Excerpt from Haunting Refrain.
The older woman brightened. “I suppose I could talk to Ramses. Perhaps he can help.”
Kate was never sure whether Venice was serious about the spirit who inhabited her crystal ball. She swore that he was there and spoke to her, but Kate had caught an irreverent twinkle in her eyes more than once. “Ramses? I thought he only communed with the—”
“The dead. He does, although he isn't limited to those on the other side. However, in this case it might be most helpful. Don't you agree?” Venice lifted the turban off, twisting it in her hands. “Don't you love the way the gold catches the light?”
“Lovely,” Kate muttered. “Well, while you and Ramses commune, I think I'll start investigating on my own.”
___________________
Clairvoyance and other forms of psychic ability have always interested me. There's a streak of it in my family through the Welsh line, the Joneses.
I don't have it, but several members of my family do. When I wrote Haunting Refrain, I only knew about my grandmother's ability—I'd witnessed it many times and knew it to be real. But when the book came out and I mentioned Grandmother's gift, cousins began asking me about it. Each of them thought he or she was the only one, but when we compared notes, we found there's a strong thread that touches several of us.
An aunt from several generations back put her husband through medical school by posing as a gypsy and telling fortunes, but usually it comes out by knowing when something's wrong with a close family member, to the point of an uncle's waking everyone at 2 in the morning to find Virginia. ("Something's wrong with her," he said.) Virginia was injured in an automobile accident. The ability shows up in other ways, but that's the most common way.
So yes, I'm a believer in psychic phenomena, although I know there are many con artists and charlatans trying to sell fake talents.
What do you think? Do you believe it exists? Why? Or why not?
________________
Haunting Refrain is available on Amazon Kindle.

4 comments:

Polly Iyer said...

Apropos post. I'm about to put up my fourth book on Amazon, and you guessed it, it's about a psychic entertainer. She endures all kinds of name-calling because people believe she's a fraud. After my research I believe there are people who do have a psychic gift. There's none in my family, but I don't think there's anyone who hasn't had "a feeling" about something so strong that it's scary.

Ellis Vidler said...

I've had the privilege of reading your fourth book, and it's dynamite! You handled the psychic events so powerfully I could feel them myself. Hurry, Polly! It's a must read.

Marian Allen said...

There is something to clairvoyance. There's a connection between everybody, I think, and sometimes that connection is strong and some people are more sensitive to it. Charlatans aside, I do think there's something to it. Nice post!

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

Ellis Vidler said...

Thanks, Marian. I have to believe in it--I've seen it too many times in my family. But there are a lot of weird people out there claiming to have odd visions or knowledge. (Insert theme from Twilight Zone here. :-)