Monday, March 14, 2011

What Makes a Writer a Writer?

I truly don't believe writers are made; they're born that way. 
I was making up complex stories and imagining all kinds of internal dialogue when I was ten years old.  My mother was convinced I was a compulsive liar; my father held out for future fiction writer.  Which just goes to show that Mother is NOT Always Right.  Or maybe that Father Knows Best.  I know:  groan…
Writers have one indisputable career responsibility:  to get better and better.  Writing classes can help, as can books on writing, but what really helps is―you guessed it―writing, writing, writing. 
I've written nine novels now.  Three have made it into print so far, with number four breathing hot down their well-bound necks.  When I wrote my third novel―the first one published, I didn't know a genre from a genome.  As a result, IF TRUTH BE TOLD is a mish-mash of genres:  romance, suspense, women's fiction, and a classic coming of age story.  I was lucky to find a publisher.  The second, OF WORDS AND MUSIC is indisputably women's fiction.  Then I stumbled on my genre of choice:  MYSTERY!
Writing LIVE Ringer (released 4/2010) was the most fun I've ever had out of bed.  Writing mystery is even better than reading mystery because, although I'm not sure what's going to happen next, if I don't like the outcome, I can change it.  Now that's power! 
I'd intended my first mystery, LIVE Ringer, to stand on its own merit, but there was so much more I wanted to do to the characters that I couldn't rest until I'd written LIVE Ammo, due out later this year.  I'm currently working on LIVE in Person and have several more cooking in my mental oven.
The main character in the LIVE series is Allie Granger, a divorcee (her ex had the face of Adonis and the morals of an alley cat).  She's an heiress (who knew her favorite aunt was wealthy?) and a reluctant investigative reporter.  Allie spends much of her time in the sights of someone's weapon. Her best friend Sheryl is a sheriff's deputy―a sort of Sophia Loren meets Rambo―who is determined to protect Allie.  Sometimes she even succeeds.
Watching characters grow and evolve is what it's all about, at least to me.  Allie starts the series an insecure albeit wealthy girl, but by book three, she's kicking butt and taking no nonsense.  Does that mean it's a coming of age series?  Not at all.  We all have periods in our lives when we grow exponentially, when the curves life throws at us force us to reassess where we are and head us in different directions. 
Isn't that what makes fiction―and life―endlessly interesting?
―――――――――
Lynda Fitzgerald is the multi-genre author of three published works, with her fourth due for release in late 2011.  Visit her website http://www.fitzgeraldwrites.com.  It's chock full of pictures and excerpts and videos of her books.  And send her a message.  She loves to hear from readers.

5 comments:

Polly said...

Nice interview, Lynda. I've read all your books, and I've enjoyed them. Keep writing.

Gail M Baugniet said...

I enjoyed reading about Lydia's writing history. I haven't read any of her books yet, but now I will check out the first of her "LIVE" novels.

Ellis Vidler said...

Lynda, Allie's an interesting character. Some people just attract trouble--those are the ones I like to read about. Good post.

Barbara J said...

Here speaks your devoted fan: keep that new novel coming, please.

Fran Stewart said...

I liked your comparison of mother versus father. I, too, was an inveterate maker of stories. Too bad that was labeled "lying." I just HAD to make life more interesting than what I saw on the surface. Sounds like we're soul sisters. . . but then, we knew THAT already, didn't we?